· Graduating dental student (May 2010) looking for opportunities in established practice. Open to all options, with motivation, and ambition to utilize knowledge and skills in all areas of general practice. Willing to learn and enhance my knowledge under the guidance of good mentor and incorporate my ideas into growing a successful practice.
· Bilingual-fluent in Somali.
2010 Doctor of Dental Surgery Candidate-DDS
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, MN.
2006 Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
St Cloud State University, St Cloud, MN.
DENTAL OUTREACH PRACTICE EXPERIENCES
· Emergency Patient Care. NorthPoint Health and Wellness Center dental clinic. Preceptor Steven Nelson. 2009.
· Comprehensive Care. Community University Health Care Center(CUHCC) dental clinic. Preceptors Marlene Pineda, Desiree Sanchez. 2010.
· Geriatric Care. Walker Dental Clinic. Preceptor Mary Owen. 2010 (Pending).
RESEARCH and PRESENTATIONS
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
· Research on formation of capillary like structures by endothelial cells in the presence of osteoblasts essential in the replacement of maxillofacial structures -06/07.
· Presented at 2007 Deans day and 2007 Midwest regional student research conference.
· Senior case presentation on Esthetic Considerations in Removable Partial dentures-2009.
St Cloud State University
· Yearlong research on Detoxification of chloroacetaldehyde by human class-9 aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH9A1)".
· Presented at University at Buffalo The State University of New York.
· Presented at St Cloud State University.
Minnesota State University, Mankato
· Summer long plant biology research assistant to investigate naturally occuring hybrids of the Packera species.
· Involved in collecting field specimens, fixing them on microscope slides and recording data.
· M. Salad, R. Grant, A. Reberg and L. Sreerama, Detoxification of chloroacetaldehyde by human class-9 aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH9A1). In: H. Weiner, B. Plapp, R. Lindahl and E. Maser, Editors, Enzymology and Molecular Biology of Carbonylmetabolism-13, Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN (2007), pp. 44–52.
Honors and Awards
· Dean’s Scholarship (University of Minnesota School of Dentistry) 2006-10.
· Denise M.McGuire Student Research Award 2005 & 06.
· Ronald E.McNair Scholar.
2006 to present
· American Dental Association (ADA).
· American Student Dental Association (ASDA).
· Minnesota Dental Association (MDA).
Global Perspectives in Dentistry
· University of Minnesota Student Organization.
· Current president 2009-10, cofounder.
· Worked closely with office of admissions in recruitment and retention of underrepresented students.
· Played a key role in organizing events that promote cultural sensitivity in the treatment of patients of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
· Various Presentations on Introduction to dentistry to grade school and college pre-dental students.
Union Gospel Mission Dental Clinic
· Volunteered dental services including Restorative and Extractions. 2009/10.
Brian Coyle Center
· Assisted students and kids of all ages with homework, counseling, career choices, participated and supervised after school activities. 2008.
Anne Sullivan Middle School
· Teaching assistant in digital photography to 8th graders. 2002.
Emergency Community Health Outreach (ECHO)
· Guest speaker at Oral health public service announcement titled “Healthy teeth for children” which aired on Twin Cities Public Television. 2009.
· Enjoy basketball, soccer, running and reading.
· Available upon request.