volume 87 number 2

March - April 2008
Pucker Up - The Effects of Sour Candy on Your Patients' Oral Health

Anatomical Variations of the Lingual mandibular Canals and Foramina

Taken to Heart: The 2008 MDA President's Interview

Can I Afford to Retire?

Heading Home

MDA News

Resumes

Classified Ads

News Notes






Xylitol in Sugarless Gum May Be Poisonous to Pets

As reported in the “Ask Our Experts” department in ASPCA Action, a publication of the American Society for the Protection of Animals, xylitol, “a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods, and other foods, can cause serious problems for dogs. At this time,” said Eric Dunayer, M.S., V.M.D., DABT, “we don’t know if other pets, such as cats and ferrets, are affected by xylitol. Keep these products out of reach. Last year, the ASPCA managed more than 170 cases involving xylitol ingestion. Dogs ingesting xylitol can develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. In severe cases, potentially fatal liver failure may develop. Symptoms may arise as quickly as 30 minutes after ingestion or appear hours or days later. If any xylitol is ingested, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435; fees may apply) for immediate aid.”

 

Correction
In the article “Disaster Training Enters the 21st Century” by Frederick Nolting, D.D.S. in the January-February 2008 issue of Northwest Dentistry (pages 21-23), the gentleman in the photo on page 22 with Dr. Sandra Houck was incorrectly identified as Dr. Thomas Rumreich. Dr. Rumreich is in the red sweater on page 23, as shown.





Copyright 2008. Minnesota Dental Association

<newsletter home>

Northwest Dentistry - Journal of the Minnesota Dental Association - contact us